I don’t know where to start

I don’t know where to start

I need to get a divorce because of emotional abuse. I don’t have much income as I don’t have a job. My husband threatens me with withholding money etc. Doesn’t do much with the kids. I don’t even know where to start except that I need a lawyer. What do I do if he doesn’t agree to the divorce?  I have 2 small kids. I want to also move to a southern state. I am at a complete loss on what to do. I have no one to talk to about this.

3 thoughts on “I don’t know where to start

  1. Where do you live? Find out if it is a no fault state. In other words, no one needs to prove why they wantvor need to divorce -they simply can. Also, what are the child support/maintenance restrictions? In some states, like New York, they actually cap the salary at $184,000. In other words, if your husband made $300,000/year, he would only have to pay child support and alimony based on a percentage of $184,000. (I know-not very fair). It doesn’t matter if you sacrificed your career for his or for the family. Often times courts will rule the breadwinner has to pay most legal expenses. But often times you have to pay the retainer and hopecyou get reimbursed for some of it once divorce is complete.

  2. Get to know the law. Find out everything you can about spousal maintanance. He has to pay for the kids. If you can, don’t move away. Where you are now, people knows him and his tricks. It will be an advantage. Because if you move, he’s going to follow and make your life a living hell in a place where you do not have the support of friends who knows him. I am devorcing one even worse than that. Good luck.

  3. I know that at the moment you are feeling overwhelmed by what you have to do but you need to calm down and make a plan of what you have to do.
    Step 1: you are not going through this alone. Thousands of people everyday are going through this. There are people out there who are at the beginning of their journey some part way through and others at the end and free. So find out if there is an women’s refuge or charity or national help line you can ring and pick up the phone and ring them straight away. If not then go to the police for help.

Comments are closed.

Comments are closed.

Privacy Preference Center